Discord is a famous VOIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) chat program popular among gamers. Although the game was designed for gamers, non-gamers are increasingly embracing the site for cooperation and team communication.
Custom servers, speech channels, and numerous app connectors are among the app’s noteworthy features.
Discord is one of the greatest apps for virtually hanging out with your pals because of its versatility and customization features.
One of the platform’s excellent features is the amazing in-built search bar, which allows you to search effectively by adding filters to the search results. However, many users have reported that the Discord search does not work. This can be really difficult if you need to find an old communication on Discord very away.
However, several users noted that they were unable to locate servers using the search box. It can be aggravating, and you may encounter the search bar issue repeatedly. Fortunately, this problem is easily resolved without requiring extensive technical knowledge.
How To Use The Discord Search Feature?
The discord app window’s search bar is displayed in the upper right corner. To locate what you’re looking for, type anything into the search field.
Hotkeys or shortcut keys are other options to search in the Discord app. For Windows devices, press the Ctrl and F keys simultaneously to access recent searches. Mac users can open the recent search bar by pressing the cmd and F keys simultaneously.
You can also use the search filters to find talks from certain users or based on specific parameters.
Has– type “has:’ to find all the embedded media or videos and images from your chats on discord.
From– Type “from:” to find chat history with a specified user.
In– Type “in:” in the search bar to find the presently active channels on the app while you are using Discord.
Before, After, and During– If you want to search for chat history from certain data, you can type any of these filters to see chats of a certain period.
Why is Discord Search not working?
Consider the following significant causes of the discord chat search bar not working, which will assist you in understanding and swiftly resolving the issue.
1. Discord Outage
Before starting to troubleshoot your device and Discord settings, ensure that there is no issue with the Discord server.
2. Check the Internet Connection
Slow internet connections or high ping might also create discord search issues.
3. Outdated Discord
Discord must be updated on a regular basis because this fixes many bugs and security risks.
4. Discord Cache
Caches that have been saved can also cause issues. Caches, on the other hand, are useful for quickly reloading resources for the next time, but too many caches can cause inappropriate functions.
5. Problem with Discord feature and plugins
Many Discord features, such as Streamer mode, might cause discord server search to fail if enabled.
Better discord could possibly be the cause of such discord search troubles.
How To Fix Discord Search Not Working On PC?
1. Check Discord Outage Status For Server Errors
The discord server issue is one of the most common causes of an inactive search bar. It is possible that the server is down. Here’s how to verify the status of a Discord server:
- Type https://status.discord.com/ in the search bar of your internet browser to open the Discord status page
- In the next window, you will see specific information on the discord status, such as gateway status, media proxy status, push notification status, and API status, represented by yellow, green, and red bars. If there is a red bar, the discord server is currently unavailable. As a result, you must wait until the server returns to normal operation before using the search function.
2. Replace or Fix Poor Internet Connection
If you use Discord on your computer, you will notice that fast internet is required to launch the application and ensure its effective operation.
Low speed or unstable internet could be the cause of the Discord search not functioning problem on your PC. So you can start by immediately testing your internet speed.
If you suspect that your internet speed is the source of the issue, try switching to a different connection and seeing if the Discord search works.
3. Update Discord
The upgraded version of Discord occasionally causes the search tool to misbehave, rendering it partially or completely inactive.
In this scenario, updating the Discord software to the most recent version is the best solution.
Many users were able to resolve the issue by updating Discord to the most recent version.
Here is the step-by-step guide for you-
- First, open the app.
- Next press Ctrl and the R key to open the discord update window. It will search for available updates. If the update is available, it will be installed automatically as well.
- What will be the update function? Close the Discord app and then open it again to check if the search bar is back to normal.
4. Disable Discord Streamer Mode
To begin resolving this issue, disable the Streamer Mode.
Many users have found this solution handy, so if you typically use the Discord Streamer Mode, it should work for you.
- Launch Discord on your computer.
- Go to the settings menu by clicking on the gear icon.
- In the sidebar, select the Streamer Mode option.
- By pressing the toggle button at the end of the Enable Streamer Mode option, you can disable the Streamer Mode.
- Check if the ”Discord search not working” issue is resolved.
5. Clear Discord Cache
If you’ve been using the Discord app for a while, it may have saved a lot of cache files.
The accumulated files can take up a lot of space on your device and potentially cause the program to malfunction, such as a malfunctioning or inactive search option.
Cleaning out the cached files on a regular basis is therefore recommended to keep the program light and fresh.
Here is the guide to clear cached files-
- Click on the search bar of your computer and type “%appdata%” to search for the Discord folder.
- When you find the folder, double-click on it.
- Wait till the folder opens. Now, find the cache file. When you find the file right, click on it.
- Click on “delete” from the menu to permanently delete the cache file.
If none of the above methods have worked to resolve the Discord search broken issue, you can try uninstalling and reinstalling the Discord software on your computer as a final resort.
This is how you reinstall the app.
- Press the “Windows + R” key on your keyboard
- Type the text “appwiz.cpl” to go to the Programs and Features in the Control Panel.
- Uninstall the Discord app by selecting it and clicking the Uninstall option.
- After the app is uninstalled, you can follow the usual process to download the Discord setup file and install it.
Uninstall Better Discord
Better Discord is used to personalize your Discord user account.
It could be another reason for the discord app’s inactive search bar.
Uninstall better discord if you have it installed.
How To Fix Discord Search Errors For Smartphones?
If you use Discord on your mobile phone, you can try the solutions below to resolve the Discord search broken problem.
Check Your Internet Connection
A bad internet connection is one of the known causes of the faculty search bar. So, if the search bar isn’t working, double-check your internet connection. If you use mobile data, turn it off and then back on after a few seconds. It has the potential to resolve the problem.
To get reliable Wi-Fi access, consider disconnecting and rejoining to the Wi-Fi network.
Update Discord App
To update the Discord app on your smartphone, go to the Google Play store and search for Discord. The Update button will appear if there are any recent updates. To update the application, click the aforementioned icon. Check to see if the problem persists after updating the app.
Clear Discord Cache
- First, open the setting from your phone
- Next, navigate to the Apps menu
- Under this menu, click on Manage apps
- From here, search for the discord app and click on it.
- In the next screen, click on “delete cache files.”
Discord’s inactive search bar may prohibit you from using the software effectively and at your leisure.
You can use this page as a guide to resolving the problem. If the problem persists, contact the Discord team using the Help and Support option.